Search the site >

Thumping win for Aodh Ruadh against Urris

Senior Division 3
10 October 2015
Aodh Ruadh 5-19
Urris 3-5
John Hughes reports from Father Tierney Park

Urris were late to this game and were still mentally on the bus for much of the opening 20 minutes as the hosts dictated exchanges. Aodh Ruadh used the period well, piling on the scores, starting with one from David McGurrin in the first minute.

The next arrived four mintues later when Diarmaid McInerney capitalised on an error from the Urris keeper as he took a free, McInerney pilfering possession and popping over.

The first goal of the game was the product of more good work from McInerney. He took the ball into the danger area and laid off to David McGurrin. There were quick hands from McGurrin to Michael 'Sticky' Ward who was grounded in the area, a clear penalty. Diarmaid McInerney then calmly slotted the spot kick to the Diarmuid Moyne's right.

A minute later Aodh Ruadh raked through and could possibly have had a second goal. The chance passed though and came out to Niall Harley who drew on it on the ground to send it over.

Nathan Boyle drove over a superb free from 42m and then David Dolan was fouled, giving Diarmaid McInerney the opportunity to extend the Ernesiders lead to 1-5 no score at the end of the first quarter.

Urris were starting to show some signs of shaking off the travel weariness though.

It took two superb reaction saves from Peter 17 minutes in to keep Urris scoreless, but they finally got off the mark two minutes later when Alan Friel sent over a close range free.

Aodh Ruadh's answer came from Seamus Kane, cutting in along the endline before slicing over a elegant score.

Mark McGovern added Urris's second just after, volleying over after long ball had caught out the home defence

Sticky Ward got an instant response, stroking over from 30 metres, but Urris were to finish the half on a high.

Michael Grant, probably the visitor's most effective player on the day, picked out Peter Devlin with an intelligent pass and Devlin flicked to the net. Three minutes later Urris turned the kick out and Michael Grant drove through and sent over to leave the northerners trailing by just four points at the break 1-7 to 1-3.

Urris had kept themselves in contention at the turnover, but an unaswered 1-8 rampage by the Ernesiders on the resumption effectively ended the game as a contest.

It started when Sticky Ward won a free which was tucked over by Diarmaid McInerney a minute after the break. A minute later Sticky Ward did really well to maintain his balance and point after a fast-moving piece of set-up play from Aodh Ruadh.

Next Niall Harley was at the heart of the build-up as McInerney slotted over to put seven points between the sides.

Five minutes into the half there was a wonderful exhibition of technique from Nathan Boyle as sent over a trademark beauty.

Aodh Ruadh's second goal arrived a minute later. Sticky Ward picked out Niall Murray with a great ball and Murray drove at the last defender before flicking over to Diarmaid McInery who stroked home.

Points from David Dolan, Seamus Kane, Diarmaid McInerney (free) and Sticky Ward then stretched Aodh Ruadh out into a 15 point lead coming up to the end of the third quarter.

Urris's first score of the half arrived in the 44th minute, Conor Bradley finding the range. Nathan Boyle answered that, but Urris notched another, this time from Ciaran Kelly who blazed over with the goal on.

Seamus Kane had similar misfortune up the other end, his goal shot slamming off the cross bar before being gathered by David Dolan who lofted over.

With Aodh Ruadh playing quite a high line, they were vulnerable to the ball over the top and Urris started to exploit this option in the last ten minutes. Mark McGovern latched on to one and drilled home well when one-on-one with Peter Boyle.

Diarmaid McInerney responded with a free before Aodh Ruadh's third goal arrived. The ball started with Nathan Boyle, he found Seamus Kane who laid off the Sticky Ward. Ward fed David McGurrin who rounded the keeper before hooking in to the net.

A minute later David Dolan was fouled giving Diarmaid McInerney his second spot kick of the day. This one was a carbon copy of the first for the Dunmuckrim man's hattrick.

The fifth goal came a couple of minutes later, David Dolan fisting in to set up Sticky Ward who made no mistake from his opportunity.

Seamus Kane pointed to conclude the Aodh Ruadh scoring, but the final say was left to Urris, Michael Grant finding the net as the light rapidly ebbed away over Father Tierney Park.

A comprehensive win and an impressive performance from Aodh Ruadh. In defence Niall Harley shone from the start, with Calum 'Cookie' O'Halloran also making good use of the ball. Nathan Boyle continued his good form from the IFC semi-final here with an acrobatic, all-action display of fetching, kicking and prompting. Diarmaid McInerney was on fire and was good value for his hattrick haul. Seamus Kane, Sticky Ward and David McGurrin made life a pure misery for the Urris defence, finishing with 2-7 between them and creating about the half as much again for others. Packie McGrath will be looking for his men to maintain the momentum next week as Aodh Ruadh head to Bridgetown chasing points against Naomh Bríd to maintain the pressure on Burt and Milford in division three's top two places.

Vital Statistics
Aodh Ruadh
Peter Boyle; Michael Dolan, Johnny Gallagher, Calum O'Halloran; Niall Harley (0-1), Conor Patton, Nathan Boyle (0-3, 1f); Eamonn McGrath, Kerry Ryan; David Dolan (0-2), Dairmaid McInerney (3-6, 2 pens, 4f), David McGurrin (1-1); Seamus Kane (0-3), Michael Ward (1-3), Pauric Patton.
Substitutes: Niall Murray for Daivd McGurrin HT; David McGurrin for Kerry Ryan 43m; Anthony Coughlin for Nathan Boyle .
Frees conceded: 10.
Wides: 4.
Diarmuid Moyne; Declan Grant, James Griffin, Declan Heckler, Michael Grant (1-1), Sean McDaid, Brian Doherty; John McCarron, Ciaran Kelly (0-1); Alan Friel (0-1), Peter Devlin (1-0), Martin Shiels; Mark McGovern (1-1), Jason Doherty, Conor Bradley (0-1).
Frees conceded: 4.
Wides: 6.
Referee: Eugene McHale.

Last modified: Monday, 1 June 2020 at 1:11pm