Search the site >

Dungloe reserves advance

Senior Reserve Championship, first round, second leg
28 June 2008
Dungloe 3-12
Aodh Ruadh 1-08

Having being defeated at home in the first game of the first round by a young determined Dungloe side Aodh Ruadh travelled to Dungloe on Saturday evening last hoping to rerverse the result and bring the tie to a third game, but this was not to be and Saturday evening saw Aodh Ruadh reserves exit the Senior Championship.

Aodh Ruadh started the quicker of the first half with Fiachra McIntyre pointing in the fourth minute. Both sides had wides before Brendan McGee pointed from a free for the home side on eight minutes.

With the wind starting to get up both sides watched their shots fall either sides of the posts and young Joe Sweeney watched his goal chance come off the post and cleared up the field. Fiachra McIntyre pointed for Aodh Ruadh in the 15th minute, but Dungloe's centre half back Manus Brennan made a great run up the field and fired a shot past Paul Kane in the Aodh Ruadh goals for the game's first goal after 18 minutes.

Joe Sweeney stretched the home side's lead with a fine point in the 20th minute, but Shane McShea replied to keep Aodh Ruadh in touch. Brendan McGee pointed at the other end of the field for Dungloe, but again Aodh Ruadh kept in touch with a point from David Dorrian.

The final five minutes of the first half belonged to the Dungloe forwards with Joe Sweeney, Mark Forker, and Joe Sweeney again pointing for the home side to leave the half time score Dungloe 1-6 Aodh Ruadh 0-4.

Dungloe started the second half in the same vein they finished the first half and it was corner forward Joe Sweeney who put the home side further in front with a well taken goal after two minutes of play. Brendan McGee pointed from a free, but Aodh Ruadh kept battling on with two frees from the boot of Shane McShea keeping Ballyshannon in touch.

Some good ball work from back line to forward line from this young Dungloe side saw Joe Sweeney finish the move to the back of the net in the 42nd minute, this was quickly followed by a point from substitute Donal Rodgers to leave Dungloe 3-08 to 0-6 as we entered the final quarter of the game.

Val Murray and Brendan McGee traded points at either end of the field. Aodh Ruadh introduced a number of substitutes at this stage. Val Murray pointed in the 53rd minute and Barry Travers got Aodh Ruadh's only goal of the game with two minutes to go.

Shaun Bonner and Brendan McGarvey finished the scoring with two fine points for the home side to leave the final score Dungloe 3-12 to Aodh Ruadh 1-8.

Vital Statistics
Jamie Sweeney; Declan O'Donnell, Alan Boyle, Lawrence McDaid; Steven Flanagan, Manus Brennan (1-0), John Ward; Steven Gallagher, Mark Boyle; Shaun Bonner (0-1), Damien Hanlon, Mark Forker (0-1); Joe Sweeney (2-3), Brendan McGee (0-4, 3f), Pauric Bonner
Martin McGarvey for Pauric Bonner, Donal Rodgers (0-1) for John Ward, Benny McGarvey (0-1 1f) for Mark Forker, Steven Cannon for Steven Gallagher, Kevin McGowan for Damien Hanlon.
Aodh Ruadh
Paul Kane; Michael Ward, Simon Gillespie, David Dorrian (0-1); John Gillespie, Barry Travers (1-0), Michael Dolan; Donagh McIntyre, Turlough McIntyre, John McIntyre, Val Murray (0-2 1f), James McIntyre, P. J. McGee, Fiachra McIntyre (0-2), Shane McShea (0-3 2f)
Francis McGuigan

Report courtesy of Donegal News. Filed: 1 July 2008