History of the club

Aodh Ruadh Club was founded in 1909. The club was founded after a public meeting which was inspired by a call from the local branch of the Gaelic League: "to consider the advisability of having some Irish games started in the town".

The club was found on Sunday, 24th October and at the meeting the admission fee to the games was fixed at one shilling and a membership fee of one penny per week was levied.

The first hurling and football practices took place in the 'Workhouse Meadow', now known as Munday's Field at West Rock on Sunday, October 31st 1909.

Capitalising in the local talent available and particularly on an established hurling tradition, the club since its inception has met with significant success in both hurling and football and has had many successes. These are detailed on our Roll of Honour

Over the years numerous players from the club have represented the county at all levels while at administration level, the club also has a very high level of involvement.

Other features in this section