Articles and resources
This video features Don Lucia, coach of the University of Minnesota's ice hockey team. Here he speaks about parents and coaches in youth hockey. Every youth coach should take a leaf out of his book. As he says, "It shouldn't be win at all costs, it should be fun at all cost."
Don Lucia video on YouTube.
- A life through sport [1.690MB]
An insight into the life and times of four time All-star Tony Scullion.
- Core strength and conditioning for younger players [242KB]
This presentation delivered by Paul Rouse and Ryan Mellon at the 2010 Ulster Council Coaching conference in Cookstown continues the theme of Core and Strength Conditioning for under 12s, under 14s and under 16s.
- Breaking and building football skills [117KB]
Presentation by John Morrison on how to build up and break down basic skills using the head, hands and feet technique at the Ulster Council Coaching Conference in Cookstown, January 2009.
- Fun and Fitness [3.4MB]
Presentation by Ryan Daly and Stephen Beattie at the Ulster Council Coaching Conference in Cookstown, January 2009.
- Coaching the 12 to 16 year-old age group [1.1MB]
Presentation by Diarmaid Marsden at the Ulster Council Coaching Conference in Cookstown, January 2009.
- Coaching the eight to 12 year-old age group [1.2MB]
Presentation by Tony Scullion and Terence McWilliams at the Ulster Council Coaching Conference in Cookstown, January 2009.
- Meaningful coaching sessions [286KB]
- Stations exercises [530KB]
- Improving your jumping [343KB]
- Fitness with the football [58KB]
- Coaching defensive play [52KB]
- Games for better team play [92KB]
- Kicking for scores [83KB]
- Coaching the tackle [64KB]
The following sites provide coaching articles and information
The Armagh GAA website contains a huge video resource of information on drills and training techniques for hurling and football. You can find it at www.youtube.com/profile?user=armaghgaa#g/u.
The site also contains a full session on strength and conditioning coached by Tommy Stevenson who is regarded as the top GAA conditioning coach in the country.