Search the site >

Club Notes Archive - 2023

Notes navigaion

Click on a year to select a month.

Box. July
4 July

Aodh Ruadh were in Glenties on Saturday for a game which looked set to go a long way to deciding the complexion of the ACFL Division 1 final. With that prize in their sights both sides played a very cautious game, with packed defences very much the order of the day. The Ernesiders had the better of it initially with Peter Boyle, David Dolan and Eoghan Kelly edging them 0-3 to 0-2 in front with ten minutes played. They only managed to get one further point in that wind assisted half though, courtesy of Matt Gillespie, and so the sides turned around deadlocked on four points apiece. The scoring wasn't much more fluid in the second half, but it was the homesters who had the better of it after getting out into an early lead. Aodh Ruadh had two further Peter Boyle frees, and Diarmaid McInerney dead ball, but on the day Naomh Conaill did enough to earn the win as it finished up Naomh Conaill 1-9 Aodh Ruadh 0-7. Aodh Ruadh now need to win all their remaining games and hope Saint Eunan's lose all theirs if they are to make it to the Division 1 decider. The Aodh Ruadh team and scorers were as follows: Peter Boyle (0–3, 2f, 45); Mark McGlynn, Eamon McGrath, Eoghan Kelly (0-1); Gary Carty, Colm Kelly, Kyle Murray; Shane McGrath, Cian Dolan; Dairmaid McInerney (0-1f), Shane Delahunty, Jack Gallagher; Philip Patton, David Dolan (0-1), Matt Gillespie (0-1). Subs: Darren Drummond, Michael McKenna, Nathan Boyle, Donagh McIntyre.

In the curtain raiser down in Glenties a strong Naomh Conaill’s reserve team proved too much for Aodh Ruadh. Ballyshannon battled well in the first half playing against a strong breeze which favoured the homesters and rallied well to hit the final two scores of the half to leave the scores at 0-7 to 0-4 going in at half-time. Given the conditions that was a promising position for Aodh Ruadh. However, the Shams just couldn’t get their hands on the ball for large portions of the second halfas Naomh Conaill ground down the clock and took their chances when they presented themselves. Naomh Conaill capitalised for a three pointer with 10 minutes played in the second half and that left a big mountain for Aodh Ruadh to climb. Typical of the group though, the Ernesiders kept trying to work their way back into the game and didn’t give up the chase. They stayed in touch and were left to rue some clear-cut goals changes which were missed and which might have given them a route back into the game. In the end though a very strong Naomh Conaill team just had a bit more experience and know-how and were full value for their 1-12 to 0-8 win.

This week the reserves have a break, while the seniors will take on Bundoran in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh this Saturday at 7.30pm. At the time of writing there was no confirmation of a Division 4 fixture

The Aodh Ruadh minors returned to action after a long lay off with a hard-earned win over Naomh Pádraig Muff on Monday evening in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh. The homesters did well in the first despite conditions not really suiting flowing football. They passed up a few goal chances, but still lead by 0-7 to 0-4 at the break. In the second half the game opened a bit and Aodh Ruadh were finally able to raise two green flags. Muff never let the Ballyshannon get away though and hit back with two goals of their own. In the end Aodh Ruadh just about did enough to take the result on a 2-13 to 2-11 scoreline. Ben Daly was excellent for Aodh Ruadh between the posts while Joe Gibbions supplied great cover. Further out the pitch Rian McCauley and James Monaghan did very well about the middle third, with Garvey Meade and Barry Campbell doing a lot of damage going forward with their probing runs and passing. MJ Ward was a real livewire in the leading line of the attack and Muff struggled to contain him. Next up for the minors is a trip to Milford next Monday at 7pm.

The under 15s continued their busy spell as they travelled to Stewartstown in Tyrone on Saturday as the Donegal representative to the Regional Féile. Ballyshannon were placed in a tough group that had the host club, Stewartstown, Na Fianna of Dublin and Truagh of Monaghan. Windy conditions made for hard earned scores on a terrific day of football as Aodh Ruadh ended up being shaded at the death in the shield final. The first group game was against the hosts who had a good vocal support as expected. It was a very tight match with Aodh Ruadh just shading it on a scoreline of 1-5 to 1-4 courtesy of a late penalty which was well dispatched by Corey Sheridan. Next up was Truagh, who made the most of the strong wind to amass a massive nine point lead in by the turnaround. Our lads put in a tremendous effort in the second half to claw back the deficit, but unfortunately time ran out as the Monaghan boys hung on for a two point win on a final scoreline of 2-8 to 3-3. The final group game was played against the city northsiders Na Fianna and the Ballyshannon men put in a big first half to hold a four point lead at half time. However the second half was run by the Dublin lads who were simply a bigger and stronger outfit, winning out on a final score of 3-5 to 1-2 to make it a clean sweep of three from three for Na Fianna to top the group. Second place was determined by aggregate scores against, which meant a third place group finish for Aodh Ruadh and progression to the Shield semi-final where we faced Drumragh. There was literally nothing between the sides in a hum-dinger of a contest, the Ernesiders two point up at half-time, but the sides were to go on and finish level at a scoreline of 2-2 to 1-5 at full-time so extra-time was needed. The strength of the bench was the difference and Aodh Ruadh won out on a final scoreline of 2-5 to 1-6 after extra-time to book their place in the final. There was a quick turnaround for the final where Banagher of Derry awaited. It was becoming a case of the walking wounded as Gareth Brennan and Aaron McLoone had to sit out the final through injury whilst others were playing with knocks, bumps and muscle fatigue. In what was undoubtedly the match of the day, Aodh Ruadh had contained the Derry sides wind advantage to reach the turnaround level at three points each. We couldn’t have had a worse start to the second half however as Banagher landed two sucker punch goals either side of an MJ Ward point to hold an early five point lead. But great credit to the green and white boys as two Sheridan goals, one from a penalty and a point had Aodh Ruadh two points up with three minutes remaining. Banagher chased the goal they desperately needed and despite some heroic defending, the Derry men managed to find the net in the final minute to break the Ballyshannon hearts and claim the regional Shield. All-in-all the boys can be very proud of some really good team performances and they really ground out some great results. The full squad of 25 got plenty of football with at least five subs used in every game and every player playing their part and representing their club and county with pride, responsibility and respect. Thank you to the host club Stewartstown for holding a very successful tournament and to the other participating teams who played their part in a hugely enjoyable (and long!) day of football. A big shout out to our sponsors. SPAR sent us packing with lunches and Mickey McMahon arranged a post tournament meal in the Greenvale Hotel in Cookstown, all grub gratefully devoured in a 12 hour shift from leaving at 8am to be home again after 8pm! And also a big thank you to Paul Diver and the Sandhouse hotel for kitting out the lads with new personalized Feile tops. The action doesn’t stop there, as preparations are well underway for the under 15 Division 2 All County League final this Sunday against Malin. Venue and time to be confirmed. We have also learned our group for the Division 2 cup, where we will host Termon on July 14th before travelling to Kilcar and Glenswilly in the group stages.

There will be no under 11 training this coming week owing to the Aodh Ruadh summer camp taking place. Training will resume as normal on Monday 10th July.

Aodh Ruadh defeated Lisnaskea Emmet's by 3-16 to 2-8 in the Ulster Hurling Cu Chulainn Cup on Wednesday evening at Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh. Well done to all the lads on a good performance. Next game is away to Monaghan outfit, Clontibret.

Pride of place this week goes to our minor panel on securing the county title last Thursday night in the Centre of Excellence in Convoy. Captain Cian McDonald led the boys out, unusually in black and green, to face the white and green of MacCumhaill's. The Aodh Ruadh lads took control of the game early and dominated the first half. After the break, things slowed down and the team looked a little sluggish for a while. Nevertheless, they maintained their lead throughout to win convincingly on a score line of 2-10 to 1-5. Hearty congratulations to Daithi Breen, Danny Breen and Denis Daly for all their work with this panel. Captain Cian also thanked all involved in helping making the win come to pass and he had special words of praise for the under 15 players who stepped up and made a massive contribution this season. This win will see the team go straight through to the semi-final of the Championship in a number of weeks. There’ll be no resting upon laurels though as the team start their Táin Óg campaign this Wednesday against Clon Tones from Longford – venue to be confirmed.

The under 15s will return from their short rest this week. Training continues on Tuesday at 5.50pm as they commence their preparations for the start of the League at the end of the month.

This Thursday will see the start of the under 11 Go Game season. The boys have been busy training and are looking forward to getting started with these games. First up will be Four Masters at home in Ballyshannon. Throw-in at 7pm. Good luck to John, Patrick, Rob and all the lads.

The under 7s and under 9s are due to travel to Donegal Town where our neighbours, Four Masters, will be hosting a four-team blitz. Hopefully everybody has a great time!

Next Sunday sees one of the highlights of the Aodh Ruadh hurling calendar – the ever-popular trip to Croke Park. Kevin Byrne will once again be taking a large group of hurlers and parents to be entertained at the All-Ireland hurling semi-final where Kilkenny and Clare will be locking horns. Unfortunately, due to a clash with the under 15 football Division 2 final, a number of seats have become available at the last minute. Please contact Orla Bannon on 086-8035316 if you would like to come along on what is always a fantastic day’s craic!

Ladies football
The Division 1 ladies had a very convincing win over Buncrana on Wednesday evening Bundoran. It took Shamettes to get going and after ten minutes it was three Eimear McMahon points to one from Buncrana. That would prove to be the Inishowen girls only score of the first half. Aodh Ruadh continued to steadily pick off scores with Donna Martin and further Eimear McMahon scores opening a widening gap between the sides. the key period of the game came between the 18th and 21st minute. It started with a Hannah Doherty point which was quickly followed by McMahon's seventh point and second later Terri Gallagher had the ball in the net after lobbing the keeper. Points from Donna Martin (2) and Terri Gallagher made it 1-5 in a blistering three-minute spell of football. There was still time for the score of the game, with Terri Gallagher picking out Cadhla Dolan with a delicious pass which Dolan placed past the keeper. Final say of the half went to the impressive Donna Martin as Aodh Ruadh went in with a 2-13 to 0-1 advantage. Buncrana and the aid of the hill and breeze in the second half, but it didn't halt the Ballyshannon scoring. The points continued to flow from Eimear McMahon, Aoibhinn McGarrigle, Donna Martin and Cadhla Dolan. Dolan then added her second goal of the game on 40 minutes before Ciara Larkin blasted over on her senior debut. Dolan then completed her hattrick on 42 minutes and with Hannah McGuinness also raising a green flag the result was decided. Buncrana did battle back well in the final quarter, but there was way too much ground to make up. This was a very strong performance by the Ernesiders, with Eimear McMahon simply unmarkable on the night. Further back Lauren Foy and Anna Rafferty did well in the middle third while, Shelly Loughlin and Roisin McGloin were very strong in the defence.

The Division 3 team were in Killygordon on Sunday morning for their latest outing in what proved to be a game of two halves. Aodh Ruadh got off to a flier in the first half and built up a good lead by the half-time whistle. Red Hugh's came out with all guns blazing in the second half though and in the end the Shamettes had to show grit to earn the win with four points to spare. The defence were called upon to put in a big shift with Lauren Moore doing really well and Shauna Dolan excellent on her return from injury. Aodh Ruadh were well served by Lauren Foy and Kate Cunningham in midfield, while up front minor star Cadhla Dolan continued her fine goal form. Under 16 Katie McGowan showed some nice touches, while it was a big day for fellow under 16 prospect Megan Murphy who made her senior debut for the club.

This Sunday we have a ladies double header in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh. The Division 3 team will be taking on Four Masters at 10am, with the Division 1 side facing off against Saint Eunan's at 11.30am.

The under 14s took on MacCumhaill's last Thursday in Ballybofey and the spoils stayed Finnside after an absorbing tussle. Aodh Ruadh played their best football in the first half, but a well-drilled Ballybofey outfit held the interval advantage. They pushed on early in the first half and from there to full-time they were able to pull away despite Ballyshannon's best efforts. The Erneside girls now face Bundoran on Saturday in the last round of league games, with the throw-in time to be confirmed.

We had another successful training day on Sunday with our underage camogs. Numbers are good and the turn out shows the great interest and enthusiasm out there in Ballyshannon for camogie. New players are always welcome to our weekly session on Sundays at 11.45am. Any parent who would like to be added in to the Camogie WhatsApp group is asked to contact Sharon 086-0866804 or Ciara 087-7529309. We also have an adult casual camogie team in the works, so anyone if anyone would like to be involved playing or coaching is asked to get in touch with Sharon or Ciara.

€2,800 up for grabs at Ballyshannon Bingo this week
Well done to all our winners at last week's bingo on Tuesday 27th June. Orla Ferguson scooped the main prize on the Jackpot game. The house winners were Mary Roper (twice!), Breda Gallagher, Mary McGonigle, John McFadden, Teresa Hoey, Mary Alice Patton, Mary Travers (on a lucky number doubler!) and Maureen Connolly. The line winners were Brenda McKeown, Margaret Gallagher, Teresa Campbell, Mary Travers, Caroline Finnerty, Margaret Meehan, Laura Griffin, Majella Gettins, Mary B Kerrigan, John McFadden and Rita Touhy took the €50 line. Angela Gaye was last on her feet to take €110 on the Stand-Up game. There was no winner of the summer snowball so it is in play again this week as part of a €2,800 prize fund, with €500 on the Jackpot, €1,000 on the Snowball and €300 on the Lucky Numbers game. We look forward to seeing you all at the Abbey Centre and would love to see new players come along and past players return! Doors open at 7.45pm for eyes down at 8.30pm. Books just €10.

Back to the top Back to top.
11 July

It was typical derby fare in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh on Saturday afternoon as we entertained our neighbours from over Finner hill. There was a big crowd in Munday's, but it took a while for the anticipated fireworks to materialise. Aodh Ruadh got the first two scores of the game courtesy of young guns Shane Delahunty and Eoghan Kelly, but that was to be the first of only two occasions when there was to be more than a point between the sides in this game. Jamie Brennan hit two answering points to level matters by the seventh minute before Cian McEniff and Diarmaid McInerney then swapped scores twice in succession to leave it at 0-4 apiece six minutes from the interval. The last scoring action of the half was a Cian Dolan mark from distance which saw the Ernesiders holding the slimmest of advantages at the turnaround. The second half started as the first began, with a Shane Delahunty point, but Jamie Brennan hit back with two points to restore parity at 0-6 each with 37 minutes played. Indeed, Brennan would account for all of Bundoran's scores over the remainder of the game. Diarmaid McInerney and Brennan exchanged a brace of points to make it 0-8 to 0-8 heading down the stretch. At this stage Realt na Mara's hunger showed and Brennan edged his side in front again, before Peter Boyle was able to cancel that out with a 45. Then two minutes from time a long-range Brennan free looked like it might just be enough to sneak the result. However deep into injury time Aodh Ruadh were awarded another 45 and despite all the pressure on him, no one could have been cooler than Peter Boyle as he stroked the ball over the black spot to a huge home-town roar. Shortly after Jimmy White sounded the whistle on a 0-10 to 0-10 draw. The share of the spoils was probably the fair result on balance, although Bundoran will rue some bad wides. Peter Boyle stood tall between the posts as usual, and was the right man in the right place for the pressure frees at the end. Gary Carty ran himself into the ground for the cause, while Michael McKenna looked good on his return to first team action. Cian Dolan's physicality around the middle was priceless on a day when players had to get into the trenches. Up front Shane Delahunty took two good scores, while Diarmaid McInerney's metronome scoring consistency proved its worth once more. The Aodh Ruadh team and scorers were as follows: Peter Boyle (0-2 45s); Mark McGlynn, Kyle Murray, Colm Kelly; Gary Carty, Eddie Lynch, Michael McKenna; Cian Dolan (0-1 m), Shane McGrath; Eoghan Kelly (0-1), Diarmaid McInerney (0-4, 3f), Philip Patton; Shane Delahunty (0-2), David Dolan, Eamonn McGrath. Subs: Darren Drummond for Philip Patton 45 minutes; Niall Murray for Gary Carty 45 minutes; Callum O’Halloran for Mark McGlynn 50 minutes; Matt Gillespie for Shane Delahunty 56 minutes. We have pictures from the game, along with a lot of good crowd shots up on

In the Division 4 fixture between the Aodh Ruadh and Bundoran on Sunday in Gaelic Park, Aodh Ruadh defeated a game Realt na Mara side in an entertaining encounter in front of a big crowd. Aodh Ruadh were in commanding form from the throw-in playing high tempo first time football. The homesters struggled to contain a rampant Ballyshannon side during the opening quarter. Caelan Drummond opened the scoring from Aodh Ruadh followed by a Harry Howarth free. The Shams dominated the Bundoran kick-out in the early exchanges with the slick Diarmuid Flood Dolan central to Ballyshannon's attacking play and he finished off a fine individual effort to the roof of the net to leave the scores at 1-2 to 0-0 with 15 minutes gone. An accidental collision and a head injury for Chris Goan saw a lengthy stoppage and this halted Ballyshannon’s momentum somewhat as the homesters rallied strongly led by the impressive Dillon O’Reilly to level the scores at 1-3 to 1-3. Aodh Ruadh steadied matters before half time and picked off a number of scores including a huge effort from 45 meters from Damian Weber and another score for Diarmuid Flood Dolan to lead 1-6 to 1-3 at the interval. A torrential downpour at half-time made for difficult conditions for both sides in the second half, but early scores from Diarmuid Flood Dolan and a trademark Dan Warnock left-footed point bought Aodh Ruadh some breathing space and when Damian Weber dispatched a penalty with ten minutes played it felt like a long way back for the Seasiders. Bundoran battled hard though and continued to keep the game interesting as a contest, firing over some well worked scores and the sides went tit for tat in an absorbing final 20 minutes with the lively crowd making their voices heard. That was until Sticky Ward turned his man and went through from 20 metres to fire to the net to settle the contest. All-in-all an enjoyable spectacle for the big crowd present as both teams played their part in a well contested and entertaining game of football. Best for Aodh Ruadh were the commanding Luke Carr at full back, Diarmuid Flood Dolan can be pleased with his tally of 1-2 from play from midfield while Darragh Flood Dolan’s strong running was a big asset for the Ballyshannon men. Much further back Aidan Murray was a solid deputy between the sticks with some important interventions and fine kicking. The Aodh Ruadh team and scorers were as follows: Aidan Murray; Shane McGloin, Luke Carr, Ciaran Slevin; Chris Goan, Dan Warnock, Darragh Flood Dolan; Diarmuid Flood Dolan (1-2), Oisin Kerr; Stephen McGrath, Caelan Drummond (0-1), Harry Howarth (0-2); Cian McKenna, Jake Foley, Rory Gethins. Subs: Damian Weber (1-2), Odhran McGarrigle (0-1), Sticky Ward (1-0), David Roper, Kerry Ryan, Dermot Slevin.

This week sees the last round of ACFL Division 1 senior and reserve fixtures. Aodh Ruadh will be making the long jaunt up to the Rosguill peninsula to take on Na Dúnaibh. The reserves game gets the action under way at 1pm with the senior game following at 2.30pm.

Aodh Ruadh's minors made the long trip to Moyle Park on Monday, but it proved a fruitless expedition with the hosts taking the honours. Ironically, despite the jet lag, Ballyshannon played their best football in the opening quarter and had run up 3-1 to 0-1 by the midway point in the half. Unfortunately, after that the Ernesiders' focus dropped somewhat and silly errors started to creep into their game. Those errors allowed Milford to get their shooting boots on and by half-time they only trailed by a goal, 3-2 to 0-8. The second half was dominated by the homesters as they closed up the defence and scoring chances were at a premium for the Ernesiders. Milford found the net with a penalty and in the end that was the difference between the sides as it finished 1-14 to 3-5. Aodh Ruadh had a good game from Corey Sheridan between the posts, while fellow under 15 champion Gareth Brennan had a great game alongside James Monaghan in the heart of the defence. In midfield Barry Campbell and Eoin Cassidy both gave it their absolute all, while up front MJ Ward gave the Milford defence their fill of it. The team have a break next week before hosting Carndonagh in two weeks time.

In a mouth-watering pairing for the under 15 All County League Division 2 county final, Aodh Ruadh made the pilgrimage to Glenswilly on Sunday evening to face off against a formidable Malin side. Both teams embraced an attacking mindset, resulting in a see-saw battle that kept spectators on the edge of their seats throughout the thoroughly exciting encounter. Right from the throw-in, the Aodh Ruadh attack unleashed a lightning-fast start, scoring two goals within the first three minutes. However, Malin responded with an impressive display of determination, keeping themselves within touching distance of the Ernesiders with a scoreline of 2-2 to 1-1 after eight minutes. Aodh Ruadh continued to press forward relentlessly, eventually finding the net for their third goal around the 15-minute mark. The teams traded points, but it was the young men from Inishowen who finished the half stronger, scoring two late goals to reduce the deficit to four points as the half-time whistle blew, with Aodh Ruadh leading 3-7 to 3-3 at the break.
The second half began with Malin showing great hunger, quickly notching up 1-1 without reply to level the scores. However, Aodh Ruadh showed composure to score the next two points and restore their lead. The pressing and turnovers from both sides were impressive, with both teams punishing mistakes in dangerous scoring areas. Aodh Ruadh extended their lead with a fourth goal, making the scoreline 4-10 to 4-5 after 20 minutes of the second half. Once again, the determined Inishowen lads managed to claw their way back into the contest by gaining control of the midfield and hitting 2-3 without reply. Having led for most of the match, Aodh Ruadh found themselves four points behind, with the scoreline reading 4-10 to 6-8 and 26 minutes played in the second half. It was looking like a long disappointing trip back through the Gap was in prospect, but this resilient bunch of young men were not done. The next score became crucial, and Aodh Ruadh fought hard to earn a free kick from 21 yards. Employing a high press on the kick out, they forced the Malin defence into conceding another soft free within kicking distance, narrowing the gap to just two points with 31 minutes played on the clock. Aodh Ruadh 4-12, Malin 6-8. With the referee indicating at least three minutes of added time, the Aodh Ruadh high press paid off once again as they turned over the Malin kick-out. Working the ball patiently from the wing, the Aodh Ruadh attack produced a moment of pure magic that will be etched in their memories forever. A low left-footed shot from Joe Gibbions found the bottom corner of the net, igniting a thunderous explosion of joy from the traveling Aodh Ruadh supporters. Malin managed to regain possession, but they were once again dispossessed, sealing Aodh Ruadh's victory. In the final moments of injury time, Aodh Ruadh tagged on an additional point to solidify their win, with the final score standing at Aodh Ruadh 5-13, Malin 6-8. The triumphant Aodh Ruadh squad were as follows: Bobby Melly, Aaron McLoone, Daithi Sheerin, Fionn Hartin, Finn Doogan, Gareth Brennan, Oisin McCadden, Eoghan McCadden, Corey Sherridan, Joe Gibbons, Anton Duffy, Eoghan B Gallagher, Max Roper, Eoghan Gallagher, MJ Ward, Jack Gormley, Connor Grennan, Dara Vaughan, Ethan Kerrigan, Joey Daly, Darragh McCready, Callum Dorrian, Sean O'Neill, Shaun McGarrigle.
This thrilling contest showcased fantastic attacking football by two evenly matched teams. With the championship set to begin on Friday, it would be a delight to witness a potential rematch between these sides later in the summer. Up next for Aodh Ruadh is the first round of the under 15 County Championship, which sees them host Termon on Friday evening in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh, with the throw-in scheduled for 7pm.

Under 11 training continues as normal on Monday and Wednesday evening from 5.45pm to 6.45pm in Munday's Field. The Green squad return to action on Saturday with a home fixture against Saint Michael's at 11.30am

The minor hurlers continued their winning streak with a comprehensive win over Longford’s Clon Tones in Sligo last Wednesday. This week will see the start of the Championship and Aodh Ruadh have been drawn against Saint Eunan’s in the semi-final. This will be the team’s toughest challenge to date, as Eunan’s are the only team to have defeated Aodh Ruadh this season. As league winners, our panel have home advantage in the draw and it would be great to see lots of home support for the lads. Throw in at 7.30pm in Páirc Aoidh Ruadh.

The under 15s are still busy laying down preparations for the start of the League. Training continues on Tuesday and Thursday from 5.50pm 7pm. Big congratulations to the dual players on this team that enjoyed success on Sunday by winning the Division 2 football league.

The under 11s are off to MacCumhaill Park in Ballybofey on Thursday to take part in their next round of Go Games. The action is due to start at 7pm.

The under 7s and under 9s are also on the road this weekend. They are heading to the Crossroads to take part in a blitz hosted by Setanta on Friday evening at 6.30pm.

Sunday saw one of the most anticipated days in the hurling calendar taking place with our annual trip to the All-Ireland semi-finals in Croke Park. We were ferried around in style and comfort by Cathal Byrne and it was really great to see a wide range of interest from under 7 players right up to minors. We got to enjoy the camogie quarter-final between Cork and Kilkenny first, before the main event. As mainly neutrals, we had a number shouting for Kilkenny – including, of course, brothers Rossa and Senán previously from Kilkenny – but the majority were probably cheering on the blue and yellow of Clare. We were not to be disappointed with a thrilling spectacle of hurling from start to end with Kilkenny taking the glory at the end. The journey home was spent on ad hoc, fun filled trivia and considering we left nobody behind and had no drama, it was a great day out from start to finish!

Saint Eunan's were unable to field this week for the Division 1 game, so this sees Aodh Ruadh into a Division 1 semi-final against Termon in their first year back in top flight football. This is a great achievement for the team and management and we wish them the very best of luck in their last four fixture which takes place this Wednesday at 8.15pm in Burn Road. The winners of that game will take on Naomh Conaill in the final.

Also into a league semi-final are our Division 3 ladies. They rubber-stamped their spot with a hard-earned victory after a very entertaining game of football against Four Masters on Sunday morning. The Shamettes held the impetus for much of the game, with Orla Keon clipping over their first point after just 15 seconds, but Four Masters never let Aodh Ruadh get out of sight over the course of 60 tense minutes. Hannah McGuinness doubled Ballyshannon's lead after three minutes before the Donegal town girls got their first score in the seventh minute. Aodh Ruadh responded in style with Cadhla Dolan finding the net, but that sparked Four Masters into action and they hit four unanswered points to level the game up with 20 minutes played. Aodh Ruadh's gift for goals manifested itself again though, with Amanda Mahon slipping home before adding a point to open out a four-point gap once more. Four Masters showed their grit to reel off the next four points and make it 2-3 to 0-9, but Cadhla Dolan found the net in first half added time to give her side the edge at the turnaround. Lauren Foy popped over seconds into the new half, but the third quarter was to belong to Four Masters as they hit six points with only a Cadhla Dolan free in reply to make it 3-6 to 0-14. With just a point in it, Amanda Mahon's point was a welcome sight for the Aodh Ruadh girls. Four Masters weren't done yet though and they levelled the game at 3-7 to 0-16 with 58 minutes played. At this stage it was anyone's game, and in Cadhla Dolan Aodh Ruadh had the match winner. Two minutes into overtime she did really well to win the ball and smash an unstoppable shot to the net to clinch the result. Caitlin McGarrigle added a point with the last kick of the game to confirm a 4-8 to 0-16 win for the Ernesiders. This was a great game of football between two well-matched sides. The youngsters really stood up with Lauren Foy, Katie McGowan and Ciara Larkin immense around the middle and Cadhla Dolan on fire up front. In defence Shelly Loughlin, Meabh McCloskey, Roisin McGloin and Lauren Moore were superb against a lively Donegal town attack. Up front Amanda Mahon was in top form, with Hannah McGuinness also contributing well. A word for the Four Masters keeper who was excellent despite the goal concessions. Check out for some pictures from the game. The Division 3 ladies can now look forward to a home league semi-final against Malin this Saturday at 6.30pm. We'd love to see a big showing of support in Munday's for the girls.

Best of luck to our minor ladies who have their first league game of the season this Tuesday, 11th July. They will be taking on Four Masters in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh at 7pm.

The under 14s got back to winning ways with a good win over Bundoran last Saturday with all players getting plenty of game time.

We are having a meeting this Thursday evening at 8.15pm at the club house, Áras Aoidh Ruaidh. This is open for any parents or players involved with camogie or any newcomers to attend. Training continues Sunday with our underage camogs. Numbers are good and the turn out shows the great interest and enthusiasm out there. New players are always welcome to our weekly session on Sundays at 11.45am. Any parent who would like to be added in to the Camogie WhatsApp group is asked to contact Sharon 086-0866804 or Ciara 087-7529309. We also have an adult casual camogie team in the works, so anyone if anyone would like to be involved playing or coaching is asked to get in touch with Sharon or Ciara.

Ballyshannon Bingo
Well done to our winners at last week's bingo on Tuesday 4th July. Majella Gettins won her second Jackpot in three weeks! The house winners were Mary Cleary, Karen Gallagher, Trisha O’Connor (also with the line), Rachel Anderson, Mary Coughlin, Amy Nelson (on a lucky number doubler!), Senan Ward, with a three-way win on House 1 whilst Ann Gallagher and Regina Dolan shared Game 2. The line winners were Mary Faith, Micheal Gallagher, Teresa Hannon (twice!), Marie Gallagher, Patsy Dowds, Mary Travers, Teresa Hoey, Joseph Darcy and Kathleen Fallon took the €50 line. There was no winner of the summer snowball so it is in play again this week as part of a €2,800 prize fund, with €500 on the Jackpot, €1,000 on the Snowball and €300 on the Lucky Numbers game. We look forward to seeing you all at the Abbey Centre and would love to see new players come along and past players return! Doors open at 7.45pm for eyes down at 8.30pm. Books just €10.

Back to the top Back to top.
18 July

Aodh Ruadh wrapped up their league campaign with a resounding 3-12 to 1-4 win over Na Dúnaibh at Moyle Park last Saturday. It's a result which sees Ballyshannon finish third in the Division 1 standings for a second year in succession. Despite the long trip down the road, the Ernesiders started brightly and had three points on the board with just four minutes played. Downings got their first point of the half in the fifth minute, but Aodh Ruadh reeled off another three unanswered points to lead 0-6 to 0-1 at the end of the first quarter. Remarkably there would only be three further points scored in the second quarter and the Rosguill side grabbed two of them to leave four points in it at the interval, 0-3 to 0-7. Aodh Ruadh reeled off the first four points of the new half, but Downings hit back with a goal in 47th minute. Ballyshannon responded in the best fashion possible, going straight up the pitch to find the net themselves. The game continued without score for another ten minutes before John McNulty's men hit two further goals and an injury time point to seal a convincing win for the visitors. The Aodh Ruadh team and scorers were as follows: Peter Boyle; Eoghan Kelly, Kyle Murray, Ryan Keenaghan; Colm Kelly (0-1), Niall Murray, Darren Drummond; Eamonn McGrath, Cian Dolan; Shane McGrath (2-1), Nathan Boyle, Diarmaid McInerney (0-7, 4f); David Dolan (1-2), Eddie Lynch, Callum O’Halloran. Subs: Matt Gillespie (0-1) for Callum O’Halloran; Conor Patton for Nathan Boyle.

The reserves wrapped up their league campaign with a 2-13 to 0-3 win over spirited Na Dúnaibh outfit. Aodh Ruadh looked the likely victors from early in the contest with the home side unable to contain Mardy McGarrigle in particular whose first half goal against the breeze sent Aodh Ruadh on their way. The Shams led 1-7 to 0-2 at the break and, with the wind behind them, continued their impressive form throughout the second half with Aonghus Sweeny netting a well worked second goal to seal the victory by 2-13 to 0-3. Mardy McGarrigle was best on show for Ballyshannon and finished the evening with 1-3 to his credit and was tormentor in chief for the hosts all afternoon. The Aodh Ruadh team was as follows: Aaron Cullen; Conor Foy, Michael Ward, Luke Carr; Colm McGloin, Ciaran Slevin, Dan Warnock; Aonghus Sweeney, Diarmuid Flood Dolan; Harry Howarth, Caelan Drummond, Mardy McGarrigle; Damian Weber, Sticky Ward, Robbie Murphy. Subs: Stephen McGrath, Oisin Kerr, David Roper, Rory Gethins. They now await the completion of Naomh Conaill and Gaoth Dobhair's remaining games to see if they will make the ACFL Reserve Division 1 final.

The minors will be hosting Carndonagh on Monday, 24th July in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh at 7pm.

After a successful league campaign in Division 2, our under 15 boys began their championship round robin stage last Friday night, at home to Termon. We were missing several regular starters for various reasons, which left the task even more difficult. We started the game brightly, however it was Termon who opened the scoring with a fortuitous goal. Ballyshannon found it difficult to get out of their own half, with Termon’s superior physicality and intensity bearing fruit. The Ernesiders trailed 1-7 to 0-1 at half time, and clearly had a lot to do if they were to turn this one around. The second half was slightly better from our lads, but Termon rattled the Aodh Ruadh net again just as the homesters were starting to make in-roads. The took the wind from the Erneside sails and Termon won on a final score of 5-10 to 1-5. We have a gallery of pictures from the game live now on The team's next match will be away to Kilcar on Friday, 28th July.

The under 13 division 1 team were in action against Dungloe last Wednesday evening, in what was game of two halves where the wind played a big part. The home team built a good lead in the first half using their strong running and passing game. Anthony Duffy's powerful runs provided plenty of opportunities for the inside forward line of Manus Conlon, Conor McGloin and Oisin McGrath. Jack Hassett continued to win possession from the half forward line feeding the fast-paced Darragh McCready and lively Alfie McGowan. Dylan Cullen produced another fine performance both in attack and defence. Alex Kerrigan and Iarla Hartin held a strong line in front of the powerful Marko Branley and Micheál McGrath and these efforts led to six-point lead coming into the final minutes of the first half. However, Aodh Ruadh’s evening was not going to run smoothly. A talented Dungloe outfit never gave up during this tight contest. They came storming back into the game with a late flourish to leave the half time score at 1-7 to 1-4. A tough second half faced the Ballyshannon boys. It started with some defensive lapses and quick as a flash the lead disappeared with the hosts going behind by five. As the second-half progressed Aodh Ruadh stemmed the tide and settled the ship. Just as Dungloe started to believe the game was theirs, Aodh Ruadh resilience shone through. Strong running by Aodh Ruadh yielded scoreable frees for Darragh McCready and terrific tackling from the forwards meant the ball stayed in the danger zone. Slowly Aodh Ruadh got back on level terms. As the game entered the final stages a vital Manus Conlon goal from a quality long ball from Anthony Duffy saw Ballyshannon open a gap. Further scores from Duffy and Dylan Cullen helped the young Ernesiders over the line on a scoreline of 2-16 to 4-7. Dungloe never gave up and were it not for a terrific defensive display from Marko Branley, Alex Kerrigan and Micheal McGrath the outcome would have been very different. Alistair Cian was a rock in the Aodh Ruadh goal and his kick outs were instrumental in this victory. Substitutes on the evening were Daniel McLoone, Conor Grimes, Senan Ward, John McHugh and Ciarán McGuinness. This was the teams fourth league game of the campaign returning two wins, a draw and a loss so far.
The under 13 Division 3 team got their first win of the campaign on Wednesday evening with a comprehensive 6-12 to 3-5 win over Four Masters. Ballyshannon found themselves under pressure at the start of the game, but strong defence from uncompromising full backs Harry McGowan and John McHugh made it clear that Four Masters were not going to get anything easy in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh. Phelim Barron's brilliant distribution from goals was a steady platform all game, enabling Aodh Ruadh quick ball to get back up the field to attack. Ably assisted by half backs Aiden McGurrin, Conor Grimes and Senan Ward, this laid the foundations for the impressive victory. Points from Daniel McLoone and the industrious Donnacha Conlon got Aodh Ruadh off the mark. This was quickly followed up by two points from frees by Diarmuid Fox. Soon after Dara McGuiness hit the net to give Aodh Ruadh a 1-4 lead, he followed this up with another three pointer a few minutes later. Four Masters then sprang into life and hit two unanswered points before McLoone and the versatile Joseph Devanney got the Ballyshannon men back on track. Four Masters hit back with two points from the impressive Dylan Ward before Conlon rounded off the first half with another goal. Two unanswered goals for Four Masters at the start of the second half quickly, followed up with a nicely taken point brought the game back into the balance. Only a lung-busting run and point from the lively Ciaran McGuinness lifted the siege for Aodh Ruadh. Louis Hassett followed this up with a superb point to steady the ship. The homesters then hit another purple patch with points from the stylish McLoone, Hassett and Dara McGuinness. Ciaran McGuinness then reacted well to a half-blocked Alex Hoey shot for a goal which dented any hope of a Four Masters come back. Further goals from Dara McGuinness and McLoone after some great play on the right wing by Robbie van Hooijonk put the result beyond doubt. However, the Donegal men keep plugging away and were rewarded with a further goal not long after, but Aodh Ruadh rounded off a well-deserved victory with points from McGuinness, Conlon and Hassett.
Both teams now have a break, with the Division 3 team next in action on Sunday, 23rd July and the Division 1 side due out on Wednesday 26th August.

The under 11s welcomed Saint Michael's to Páirc Aodh Ruadh on Saturday morning. The boys made light of the wet conditions, playing three very competitive games. Many thanks to the parents for providing refreshments afterwards. It was very much appreciated by Saint Michael's before the long run home. Training continues as normal on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 5.45pm to 6.45pm. This coming Saturday the White squad have a home fixture against Naomh Bríd at 11am.

The minors booked their place in the A county final with a superb 2-10 to 0-12 victory over Saint Eunan's last Thursday. There was a big crowd in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh for this one as the homesters took on the reigning county champions. In the first half the Letterkenny lads made most of the running and at the turnaround they lead on a scoreline of 0-4 to 0-6. Aodh Ruadh rang the changes at half-time and they reaped their rewards, raising two early green flags. Those goals gave Ballyshannon the platform to push on for victory and they were full value for the win at the final whistle. The team are now looking forward to the county final where MacCumhaill's await. Details of the fixture are yet to be confirmed, so keep an eye on our social media output for details as we get them. In the meantime, you can check out for a gallery of pictures from the game.

The under 15s continue to prepare for the start of the League. Training continues on Tuesday and Thursday from 5.50pm 7pm.

The under 11s had a very competitive game against MacCumhaill's in Ballybofey last Thursday night. This week the lads face up to Setanta at home on Thursday evening. Training continues on Tuesdays at 6pm and Sundays at 11.45am. As ever all new-comers are welcome.

Our under 7s and under 9s travelled to Donegal town last week to face Four Masters in a very enjoyable morning's hurling. Conditions weren’t ideal, but the players had a great time. Thanks to Four Masters for hosting the blitz and the very welcome treats!

This Sunday the under 9s travel to Convoy for an all-county blitz. Full details for this blitz will be in the team WhatsApp group. The under 7s will be training this Sunday at 11.45am, with all new-comers welcome.

Aodh Ruadh took on Termon in the Ladies Division 1 semi-final in Convoy last Wednesday. This game would be a good marker for the squad's progress on their return to top flight football. Both teams were nervous over the course of the first half, but, while Termon got the game's first score, the Shamettes mainly had the better of it. Eimear McMahon was in luminous form and laid down an early marker with a great point five minutes in. A couple of minutes later Lauren Foy, another of Ballyshannon's best performers on the night, was heavily fouled, allowing McMahon to push her side into the lead. Kate Cunningham then picked out Orla Keon with a deft pass through the packed Termon defence to set up another score. Eimear McMahon landed another super point from play in the 20th minute to make it 0-4 to 0-2. From that point Termon started to get more possession and in a three-minute spell in the run up to the break they effectively laid the foundations for their victory. They first levelled the match in the 28th minute and then hit three unanswered points in quick succession to leave the half-time scores reading Aodh Ruadh 0-4 Termon 0-7. The second half was very much a slow burner with Termon opening the scoring in the 43rd minute, after Sara Gallagher had been sin-binned. Ballyshannon's first score of the new half was all about Eimear McMahon, as she won possession and drove into the area leaving the Termon defenders no option but to foul her. She lashed the ball past the keeper to make it a one-point game with 15 left to play. Termon were gifted an easy response though when a wonderful piece of defensive skill in dispossession was adjudged a foul and the converted free allowed Termon to settle. Over the remainder of the game Eimear McMahon and Termon swapped points, but in the end the county champions were just able to keep their noses in front and confirm their place in the league final with a 1-7 to 0-12 victory. Eimear McMahon and under 16 star Lauren Foy were the two outstanding performers on show on the night for Aodh Ruadh. Meanwhile Caitlin McGarrigle's typically tenacious display was another highlight, with Anna Rafferty and Hannah Doherty also featuring strongly. The Aodh Ruadh team and scorers were as follows: Bridin Maguire; Fiona McGonigle, Sara Gallagher, Hannah Doherty; Anna Rafferty, Caitlin McGarrigle, Saoirse McDevitt; Aoibhinn McGarrigle, Orla Keon (0-1); Terri Gallagher, Cait Gillespie, Lauren Foy; Eimear McMahon (1-6, 1 pen, 4f), Grainne Maguire, Kate Cunningham. Subs: Lucy McGlynn for Fiona McGonigle, Cadhla Dolan for Terri Gallagher, Annalisa Rabbitte for Saoirse McDevitt, Roisin McGloin for Hannah Doherty.

Malin have withdrawn from all adult competitions, so our Division 3 ladies progress to their final uncontested. That decider will take place on Sunday 23rd July with Saint Michael's providing the opposition, venue and throw-in time to be confirmed. The draw took place for the ladies championship last Friday. In the senior championship Aodh Ruadh was drawn in Group B with Glenfin, Naomh Conaill and Saint Naul’s. In the Junior B championship we were drawn in Group B again, with Kilcar, MacCumhaill's and Termon 2 the opposition.

The minor ladies got their competitive season off to a great start with a good win against a lively Four Masters team last Tuesday evening. Things were evenly balanced in the first half, but goals from Emily McNamee and Niamh Duffy helped give Aodh Ruadh the interval advantage with the scores reading 2-6 to 1-5. The Ballyshannon girls went up a gear in the third quarter though and opening points from Ciara Larkin and Cadhla Dolan were followed by a goal off the boot of Dáirín Sweeny. Cadhla Dolan then raised her side's fourth green flag adding two further points with Ciara Larkin also sending over a brace. Four Master then broke the Aodh Ruadh run of scores, but by that stage it was 4-12 to 2-5 in favour of the Shamettes. Lauren Foy struck for Aodh Ruadh's fifth goal and then Ciara Larkin added a sixth four minutes from time. The Donegal town girls were on the goal trail themselves though, and they found the net a couple of times in the closing stage to leave the final score Aodh Ruadh 6-14 Four Masters 4-7. Both sides did very well in what were not very favourable conditions for football, with heavy downpours making for a difficult handling. Aodh Ruadh had strong defensive displays from Megan Murphy, Aodhbha O'Donnell and Andrea Moore, while Lauren Foy and Dáirín Sweeny did well in the middle third. Aodh Ruadh were very strong in the attack, with the potent threats of Cadhla Dolan, Ciara Larkin, Emily McNamee and Niamh Duffy keeping Four Masters on their toes. We have a gallery of pictures from the game live on now. The team are in action again this Tuesday with a trip to Fintra to take on Killybegs. Throw-in is at 7pm.

The under 14s fixture against Dungloe fell afoul of the apocalyptic weather last Saturday. At the time of writing the next confirmed fixture for the team is a semi-final against Carndonagh in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh on Saturday, 5th August.

We are delighted to announce that senior adult camogie training will commence this Saturday morning at the pitch at Coláiste Cholmcille at 11am and run to 12 noon, and continue at the same venue the following Wednesday at 7.15pm. Contact Sharon 086-0866804 or Ciara 087-7529309 for more info.

Training continues this Sunday with our underage camogs. New players are always welcome to our weekly session on Sundays at 11.45am. Any parent who would like to be added in to the Camogie WhatsApp group is asked to contact Sharon 086-0866804 or Ciara 087-7529309.

Advance notice of a fun quiz night in Owen Roe's on Friday, 28th July. The craic gets under way at 9.30pm with entry for a table of four just €20. It promises to be great fun and all proceeds will be going towards the development of camogie in the club.

Aodh Ruadh 2023 Golf Classic
The club are hosting their Golf Classic in Bundoran Golf Club on Friday, 25th August. This year's Classic will be staged in conjunction with Connect Mental Health, as we work to promote positive mental health in Donegal. Tee times are available from 8am to 5pm and can be booked through Bundoran Golf Club on 071-9841302 or the in Pro Shop. Entry is €120 per team of four. We will have a full run down on prizes as we near the big day. To obtain a tee sponsorship contact William on 087-2799855.

Ballyshannon Bingo
Congratulations to Jean Murray on winning the jackpot game last Tuesday, 11th July. The house winners were Yvonne Patton, Eileen McIntyre, Ann McKenna, Senan Ward, Mary McGonigle, Mary B Kerrigan, Patsy McShea, Marie Ward and Melanie McManus. The line winners were Denise Owens, Gerard Cullen, Sharon Roper, Breda Carty, Kay Kilvarry, Joseph Darcy, Rachel Anderson, Shannon Bowman, Caroline Finnerty, Teresa Hannon, Neo Coyle, Mary Coughlin and Tina Gannon. Madeline Gibbions was last one standing to take €125 on the Stand Up game. The €1,000 Summer Snowball escaped so rolls to 48 numbers this week, as again we have €2,800 to play for! Come along Tuesday night to the Abbey Centre, doors open 7.45pm for eyes down at 8.30pm. Books priced just €10!

Back to the top Back to top.
25 July

Pride of place this week goes to the junior ladies who put in a strong performance to take the Division 3 Silver title in Convoy on Sunday morning. Both finalists had big squads to draw from on the day, but it was the Ballyshannon girls accuracy in front of the posts which was to prove the main difference. Aodh Ruadh landed the first score of the game courtesy of Eimear McMahon two minutes in, but Saint Michael's got back on terms through a free two minutes later. Aodh Ruadh edged back in front when under 16 stars Cadhla Dolan and Ciara Larkin paired up for Larkin to score. Then the game's first goal arrived in the eighth minute when a shot by Aoibhínn McGarrigle dropped into the net. A couple of minutes later a Cadhla Dolan point from play was quickly followed by goal for Eimear McMahon. McMahon then landed another point before the girls from the Bridge registered their second of the game as the game moved into the second quarter. McMahon sent over a free before Saint Michael's had a great goal chance, however Brídín Maguire reacted well to the effort and palmed it over for a point. Up the other end Aodh Ruadh were more clinical with Amanda Mahon the first to react to a loose ball, slipping to the net to make it 3-5 to 0-3. Saint Michael's did muster an answering point, but the Ernesiders finished the half with a flourish, Eimear McMahon and Ciara Larkin tagging on points to make it a 13-point game at the turn-around.
Saint Michael's were playing against the slope in the second half and that, combined with a strong defensive display from Ballyshannon, meant that the Reds were restricted to one 45th minute point in that period. Aodh Ruadh picked off scores steadily across the second half, starting with a run of three points from Eimear McMahon. Then with 37 minutes played Terri Gallagher placed a shot to the net to make it 4-10 to 0-4 and end any lingering doubt about the result. Two McMahon frees and points from Caitlin McGarrigle and Terri Gallagher wrapped up the scoring as Aodh Ruadh put the seal on victory. Aodh Ruadh had a great display from Roisin McGloin in the defence, with Meabh McCloskey also in fine form. Up front Aodh Ruadh combined very well, with Donna Martin starring despite not scoring, and Eimear McMahon and Ciara Larkin causing endless difficulties for Saint Michael's. Liam Skelly was on hand to present the trophy to winning captain Shauna Dolan following the final whistle, the side's first silverware since Aodh Ruadh first fielded a reserve team in 2021.
The Aodh Ruadh team and scorers were as follows: Brídín Maguire; Shauna Dolan, Shelly Loughlin, Roisin McGloin, Meabh McCloskey, Caitlin McGarrigle (0-1), Fiona McGonigle; Aoibhínn McGarrigle (1-0), Orla Keon; Kate Cunningham, Ciara Larkin (0-2), Cadhla Dolan (0-1); Eimear McMahon (1-9, 3f), Donna Martin, Amanda Mahon (1-0). Subs: Niamh Hoey, Hannah McGuinness, Niamh Hughes, Terri Gallagher (1-1), Aoife Bromley, Grainne Maguire, Ciarde Sheerin, Katie McGowan, Megan Murphy, Emily McNamee, Hannah Doherty.

The minor ladies return to competitive action this Tuesday with a trip to Fintra to take on Killybegs at 7pm.

The under 14s are preparing for their Shield semi-final match against Carndonagh which is scheduled for Saturday August 5th in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh.

As the seniors and reserves prepare for championship, the focus was on firmly on the Division 4 team last weekend. They entertained Glenfin in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh on Saturday evening with the continuous rain making for difficult conditions for both sides. Aodh Ruadh had the better of things in the first quarter with points from Mardy McGarrigle, JJ Cassidy and Tiernan Flood Dolan helping the Ernesiders to a 0-3 to 0-1 lead. The scoring didn't exactly pick up in the second quarter with only one further point from Glenfin and a mark from Caelan Drummond for the score board operator to chalk up. Just before the interval however Glenfin turned the ball over in defence and went the length of the pitch to fire home a goal which sent them in at the break with an unlikely one-point lead, 0-4 to 1-2. Eight minutes into the second half Diarmuid Flood Dolan flighted over a lovely strike and then a minute later Damian Weber sent over a superb shot from distance. Glenfin clawed back a point in the 45th minute to level matters, but Mardy McGarrigle edged the Ernesiders back out in front with a free four minutes later. The clinching score for Ballyshannon arrived in the 54th minute when Damian Weber dropped a ball into the area which JJ Cassidy met with a deft flick to send to the net and make it 1-7 to 1-3. Given how dominant defences were, this was always likely to be decisive. Glenfin did manage to pick off two points, but Aodh Ruadh had done enough and deserved their final scoreline of 1-7 to 1-5. A good solid display from the homesters on a difficult day for football. Spanny Goan got through a lot of work in the defence, while Diarmuid Flood Dolan and Oisin Kerr good games in the centre of the pitch. Up front JJ Cassidy was excellent with Sticky Ward pulling the strings astutely.

The minors will be hosting Carndonagh this Monday, 24th July in Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh at 7pm.

Our under 15s hosted Derry side Newbridge on Sunday morning. It was a very useful challenge game in preparation for the squad's next championship round robin game, which takes place this Friday in Kilcar at 7pm. Many thanks to Val Murray for refereeing.

The under 13 Division 3 came off second best against Dungloe on Sunday with the Gaeltacht side winning 6-14 to 2-12. The Division 1 side will be in action this Wednesday against Four Masters in Donegal town, while on the same day the Division 3 lads will be making their way to Pearse Memorial Park to take on Ardara.

The under 11 white squad were at home to Naomh Bríd on Saturday morning. Despite our neighbours having some under 12s on board, the boys came out on top in both games. The Green squad have two games coming up this week. On Monday evening they make the journey to Killybegs for a 7pm throw in and on Saturday Four Masters make the trip to Páirc Aoidh Ruaidh with throw in at 11am. Training this week is on Wednesday evening only from 5.45pm to 6.45pm.

The minors were very disappointed to have their Championship Final against MacCumhaill’s postponed last Thursday. The rescheduled date is still to be confirmed. It turned out to be a very quiet week when their second round Táin Óg match was also called off. Training and preparations for both competitions will continue unabated this week.

The under 15s see the start of their League campaign this week. First up is a trip to Burt and throw in will be at 7pm. The very best of luck to coaches, Paul Sheridan, Mark Sheerin and all the boys as they begin their 2023 campaign.

There was a formidable Aodh Ruadh presence, including Garreth Brennan as captain, on the field on Saturday morning when the under 15 Donegal Development squad took on Sligo in the Hibernian Cup. The Donegal lads have improved game on game and are now working nicely as a team. In very difficult conditions the Tír Chonaill boys took the win by 5-15 to 3-6. All our lads got a good run out and played really well.

The rain didn’t stop our under 9s having lots of fun on Sunday morning at their all county blitz in the Centre of Excellence in Convoy. There was lots of hurling with teams from Carndonagh, Saint Eunan’s Letterkenny Gaels and Four Masters also taking part. Well done to everyone!

Senior camogie got off to a great start on Saturday morning, despite the constant rain! Training continues this Wednesday from 7.15pm at the Coláiste Cholmcille pitch and again on Saturday at 11am at the same venue. Please note, there will be no camogie training on Saturday of the August bank holiday weekend.

Training continues this Sunday with our underage camogs. New players are always welcome to our weekly session on Sundays at 11.45am. Any parent who would like to be added in to the Camogie WhatsApp group is asked to contact Sharon 086-0866804 or Ciara 087-7529309. Please note, there will be no camogie training on Sunday of the August bank holiday weekend.

A reminder of the fun quiz night in Owen Roe's this Friday. We have assembled a great array of prizes to be won on the night with our raffle and the craic gets under way at 9.30pm with entry for a table of four just €20. It promises to be great fun and all proceeds will be going towards the development of camogie in the club. Please come along and support!

All-Ireland football final ticket draw
We have a pair of All-Ireland final tickets and hotel in the Camden Court Hotel stay up for grabs! This is a closed draw with just 333 tickets available priced €20 each. The deadline for purchase is Thursday, 27th July at 8pm, with the draw taking place at 10.30pm that evening. Tickets available from the Aodh Ruadh page on, get them while you can!

Aodh Ruadh 2023 Golf Classic
The club are hosting their Golf Classic in Bundoran Golf Club on Friday, 25th August. This year's Classic will be staged in conjunction with Connect Mental Health, as we work to promote positive mental health in Donegal. Tee times are available from 8am to 5pm and can be booked through Bundoran Golf Club on 071-9841302 or the in Pro Shop. Entry is €120 per team of four. We will have a full run down on prizes as we near the big day. To obtain a tee sponsorship contact William on 087-2799855.

Monthly executive committee meeting
The July monthly club executive meeting will take place this Thursday 27th July at 9pm in Aras Aoidh Ruaidh. All executive committee members are asked to attend. Any items for Any Other Business should be with Secretary Lisa McTernan by 2pm this Wednesday.

Back to the top Back to top.